Rennie® is a fast-acting, effective remedy for heartburn and indigestion2,3. When heartburn hits, Rennie® quickly gets to work to relieve painful symptoms.
Rennie® works directly on the cause of the problem - the acid in your stomach – helping to prevent acid reflux from happening. Rennie® acts physically, rather than by entering the bloodstream.
Rennie®’s antacid-based calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate formula works fast, neutralising excess stomach acid, turning it into water and other natural substances4. Rennie® can be taken day or night to relieve heartburn and indigestion fast.
What you can do to avoid heartburn1?
Everyone gets heartburn from time to time. Here are some ideas to give you quick relief:
- Try not to lie down within three hours of eating, when acid production is at its peak, because in the upright position, gravity helps to keep your stomach contents down where they belong.
- If your heartburn is worse after exercise, try drinking plenty of water which will help with hydration and digestion. It’s best to wait for at least two hours after a meal before working out to avoid heartburn.
- Avoid wearing tight clothes especially around the waist, which can press on your stomach, triggering heartburn.
- Greasy, fatty foods can trigger heartburn, so try lean meats instead, and smaller meals may help you avoid symptoms. It is probably a good idea to steer clear of acidic foods such as grapefruit, oranges, tomatoes and vinegar, and spicy foods. Alcohol, caffeine and fizzy drinks (especially colas) are also known causes.
- Everyone’s heartburn causes and symptoms are different. It might be useful to keep a diary of your symptoms to find out what affects you most.
Some tips for treating nighttime indigestion1,12:
- Elevating your head while sleeping can relieve heartburn. This position helps to prevent stomach acid from rising to your chest.
- Try a herbal tea – ginger, chamomile or dandelion are the best for settling stomachs.
Pay attention to what you’re eating and drinking before bedtime – alcohol can relax the oesophageal sphincter, which creates acid reflux. Try to avoid greasy foods, caffeine and fizzy drinks in the evening1.
Stress may increase stomach acids, increasing heartburn symptoms. Try to wind down from the day’s stresses by relaxing at night with a warm bath, or a good book. Turn off all gadgets at least an hour before you want to sleep, as research has found that exposure to blue light suppresses the production of the sleep hormone melatonin12.
Do you want to learn more about Heartburn? Read more about the symptoms and causes of heartburn.
References: 2. Netzer P, Brabetz-Hofliger A, Brundler R et al. Comparison of the effect of the antacid Rennie versus low-dose H2-receptor antagonists (ranitidine,famotidine) on intragastric acidity. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 1998; 12(4): 337–42. 3. Package Inserts: Rennie® Tablets (Peppermint, Spearmint) Reg. No. E/11.4.1/533, Rennie® Tablets (Orange) Reg. No. 41/11.4.1/0772 and Rennie® Tablets (Aniseed) Reg. No. 32/11.4.1/0568. 4. Maton PN, Burton ME. Antacids revisited: a review of their clinical pharmacology and recommended therapeutic use. Drugs 1999; 57: 855–70
Learn more about the full range of Rennie products.